Monday, September 5, 2011

Hurrying Up To Wait

Anyone familiar with military life has probably heard the phrase "hurry up and wait". It's more than just a saying, it's a way of life! We've been "hurrying" to get ready for a deployment. There is a surprising amount of work that service members have to get through to be able to deploy, and a lot of extra nonsense they need to take care of for their families. We have 3 different powers of attorney. It's redundant and a little nuts.
Now we are in the "waiting" phase. Dates have changed at the VERY last minute. I'm not saying I don't like having him around for a few more days, but it's a little like tearing off a band-aid one arm hair at a time. I't's usually just easier to rip that sucker off. I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster and somebody added a few extra loops after I started down the track.
Adri and Abbi are handling it like troopers. Abbi is having problems because she isn't old enough to understand WHY he has to go and she can't quite wrap her sweet little mind around that much time. It's practically an eternity in little girl world. Adri is sad that he's going away, but she is old enough to remember that he has always come back from his "work trips". They want him to take pictures of camels. I thought that was an odd request, but regionally appropriate, I suppose. I think there is a better chance of him getting a shot of a camel SPIDER.
::shudder::
It's been an emotional week. The tail end of this year is going to be really great, I think... even if it is difficult. Having our family separated won't be easy, but it will certainly make us all appreciate each other in new ways. Love like this doesn't have to fear distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment